The widest online curriculum, in relation to population. This is one of the conclusions project Megarends, which has been coordinated and only is the number of online students high. There is also increasing. BI reports an increase of between 10 and 20 percent in one year. Norwegian training institutions have picked up the new trends and developed some of the foremost digital learning methods, so that people can study regardless of age, location and circumstances. Through online courses, high-quality, students can achieve exactly the same extent as they would if they studied the "normal" way.
What trends are evident e-learning today? What does it take to go from being a small-scale e-learning provider to become a successful, solid large-scale e-learning institution? These questions have been the basis for the project MEGA TREND.
The project has provided the following objectives:
- Identifying Mega Trends in the e-learning market
- To map the large-scale providers
- To analyze and evaluate large-scale providers
- To study the cost effectiveness of selected institutions offering e-learning on a large scale
- To study e-learning companies that did not reach their goals, and that has been discontinued, and to identify why they failed
- To identify and formulate advice and guidelines on what works and what success means that the measures fail and not be continued
- To disseminate the project results nationally and internationally
The project has made a study of the online schools that have succeeded and which operate on a large scale today. Despite the fact has a small population and, consequently, small market, is still several institutions made in the summary of the major online schools.
The criteria for getting on the list of "mega providers" is that the institution has more than 5,000 entries to e-learning courses a year, and has an offer that is at least 100 courses.
The project's report to identify and formulate advice and guidelines on what leads to success and who have not been successful in e-learning market should be a best seller in the remote education and e-learning circles. Reporting from the project shall be available by the end of 2007.
The target group for the project's decision-makers at national and institutional level of the "e-learning." In the context, the results from the project will probably be of interest to the educational environment.
Mega Trend project completion date in late 2007.
It is published four reports of the project, all of which are available on the project's website:
- Megaproviders of e-learning Including 26 case studies
- E-Learning Initiative That did not reach targeted goals
- The Provision of e-learning Union Nominations of mega providers